The footage shows Vittorio Arrigoni bruised and blindfolded. Text scrolling across the screen threatens that he will die unless Hamas releases Salafist prisoners by 5 p.m. Friday.
Arrigoni was in Gaza working with the International Solidarity Movement, Palestinian associates who confirmed that the video showed their colleague said. The Italian national was last seen at a building popular among internationals in the port area of Gaza City, an ISM worker said.
There was no immediate reaction from the Hamas government which controls Gaza. Its security forces have in recent years taken a hard line against Salafi activists in the enclave, and ISM co-founder Huwaida Arraf said the government was “working hard to secure his release.”
Palestinians were planning to meet in Gaza City’s central Jundi square at 4 p.m. for a protest demanding Arrigoni’s immediate release, the Gaza Youth Breaks Out group announced. “Gaza people won’t let you down Vittorio,” the group wrote on its Twitter and Facebook pages.
Vittorio Arrigoni, ISM worker, Kidnapped in Gaza
April 14, 2011 | GazaTimes
Vittorio Arrigoni, 36, ISM volunteer in Gaza, was kidnapped earlier today in Gaza city. Later, a youtube video surfaced showing Vittotio blind folded and beaten up.
Salafi Jehadis claimed the responsibility of kidnapping and abducting him asking Hamas govvernment in Gaza to release Abu Al Waleed Al Maqdisi in 30 hours fstarting from 11 am today 14\4\2011 or else they would kill him.
All jornos in Gaza, Vittorios friends here and his friends everywhere ask Hamas to immediately intervene and release Vittiorio who worked hard to help Gaza for a long time.
Please lets all pray for his safe release.
The youtube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2XtPcDprbM
Will be continuously updated…
- Palestinians call for release of Italian activist kidnapped in Gaza | ISM | April 14, 2011 23:30
- List of Vittorio Arrigoni videos
- “Hope in Gaza” blogpost : #FreeVittorio
- Italian activist Vittorio Arrigoni abducted in Gaza | BBC News | April 14, 2011
- Gaza group threatens to execute abducted Italian | Reuters | Apr 14, 2011
- Palestine: Kidnapping of Italian Activist in Gaza | GlobalVoices | April 14, 2011
- Pro-Palestinian group: Activist kidnapped in Gaza | International Solidarity Movement | Apr 14, 2011 21:40
- Ansar Al Sunah “Salafi” Group in Gaza confirmed the abudction & declared a near press release | Apr 14, 2011 21:30
- Petition launched for immediate release of Vittorio | Sign Here
- Video: Italian citizen kidnapped in Gaza | Maan News | Apr 14, 2011 21:21
- Facebook page in support of @VikUtopia : join and share! http://goo.gl/LdtQW http://goo.gl/VPIG4
- Israeli occupation forces could be behind kidnapping Vittorio | Safa.ps | الاحتلال قد يكون وراء اختفاء فيكتور
- Now in hands of different thugs, Vittorio Arrigoni was kidnapped by Israel in 2008 | Silvbird Weblog
- Picture of Vittorio and message of #Gaza friends
- Sources: Italian citizen kidnapped in Gaza | Maan | Apr 14, 2011
Gazans will move to Al Jundi Sq. tomorrow at 4 pm in Gaza to protest and ask for his immediate release, join the facebook event
The Story Vittorio contributed to Electronic Intifada
- Gaza’s record-breaking children | EI | Aug 16, 2010
Message from occupiedpalestine to the kidnappers of Vittorio Arrigoni
As a muslim, I strongly condemn this action. This is no Islam. Salafis claiming to go the most straight way as the way of the Prophet Sallallahu ‘ Aleyhi wa Sallam and the Salaf usSaliheen ignoring this what is written:
“It is not for a Prophet that he should have prisoners of war (and free them with ransom) until he had made a great slaughter (among his enemies) in the land. You desire the good of this world (i.e. the money of ransom for freeing the captives), but Allaah desires (for you) the Hereafter. And Allaah is All-Mighty, All-Wise. Were it not a previous ordainment from Allaah, a severe torment would have touched you for what you took.”
May Allah ‘ Azza wa Jall guide you all, and may He bring you to common sense and taqwa to release this man, who fights for your cause, free him in good health and condition. Allahumma Ameen ya Rabbil ‘ Alameen.